Monday, March 31, 2008

Bookmarks on Steroids

That's how MyStickies describes itself. Thing 13 is about customized home pages, calendars, list-making applications, personal organizers, online sticky notes, and PDF converters--a LOT of "things" here!

At work I use the MHS in-house library page as my homepage, because I'm constantly checking something in the MnPALS catalog, in the death certificates index, in Minnesota Place Names, on Ancestry.com, etc. It is a customized homepage with many of the things I use most often! I wonder, though, if we could include some widgets on it that would make it more useful for those of us who use it as our work hompage?

At home I use Google as my homepage. About six months ago I had played with iGoogle and decided not to use it. Personally, I find those customized homepages more of a distraction than a help. But I tried iGoogle again, and also tried out MyYahoo. This time I tried to pick only work-related widgets attempting to make the page more useful (I admit, though, to including those eyes that follow your cursor around!). There were some things that I liked better about MyYahoo and some thing I liked better about iGoogle. For the time being, I've made my iGoogle page my homepage. We'll see how long it lasts!

Of the other "things," the most useful, for me, for work, would be the PDF converters. There have been so many times I wished I could turn a PDF into a Word document, but didn't know it was possible! And, we've just started using our photocopy machine to scan documents and turn them into PDFs. I can see the value of sometimes then turning those PDFs into Word documents. What a great find--thanks!

And thanks for the link to the Top 25 Web 2.0 Apps to Improve a Student's or Professor's Productivity. (I passed that one on to my niece.) Some interesting things there for those of us who work with students.

No comments: